Saturday, March 22, 2014

Furniture as a Commodity or "How low can you go"? Tolls? Khrome on a Google Barge?


Followers of my old blogs from DDH and AFTMedia know that I have some strong opinions about industries in general and ethics in particular. 

I have been on every side of the home furnishings-yes you have heard it before. I am proud of the fact that I make budgets, and don't miss an install date in my contract work.  BUT it is not because I am so great, but because the people I choose to align myself with are.  Without them, and their efforts to assist in my crazy ideas and projects, I would stop. 



I like money, but I like to problem solve more. I enjoy doing the right thing for the right people. I work for the challenge.  I set goals, and shoot for the stars and if I land on my ass, there is no one else to blame.  If it is the factories fault, it is still my fault for using them.  If it is my teams fault, ditto. It's called accountability and it is missing in the industry today.

Now, as I consider where to spend my dollars to present the best deal to my awesome clients, I find it does not work both ways.  Ethics in business is a slippery slope.  If  you want to see merchandise; spend 5-6 years of your life shopping markets like I have and you will. Then put $15000 on the floor to build the line. But boys and girls (you know who I am talking about), do it yourself, don't POACH, it's ugly. If you are a factory, I will do the right thing, will you? 

I believe in transparency and that it is the future, I am toying with the idea of marking everything at my showrooms at wholesale and charging a 
$$$$ Toll-fee to walk in and shop.

There will come a time where service is all there is, the Stores and  Design Centers are closing and reducing their size while raising rents.  Maybe I should buy a van and hold trunk shows.  Or make product available for three days and then you can wait for 4 months to try to get the same deal again. In case you don't get the picture.....












What I have learned and what people need to need to know:
  • There will always be a need to see and sit on luxury items, texture, quality and comfort can't be seen on a screen
  • Sorry, if you are a decorator, buying onesies, you should have to meetmy minimums.  Period.  Real estate is expensive.
  • Khrome will bend over backwards for the opportunity to work with good   firms.  Give us a chance if you fit the description Don't be afraid of simple contracts, they have replaced hand-shakes and and promises on napkins (although I still do them). You will get much more out    of an alliance.
  • 75% of the factories I know have had desperate times, and made         desperate decisions, I call this the "Burn Ward".  When you under-value yourself, you loose.  When things get tough do not batten down the hatches. Step up on the bow and sail your own boat, roll with the wind.
  • F.  Hurting loyal clients will always cost you in the end.  There is always another company.


Instead of Google Chrome on a barge, maybe Khrome Studios on a barge? We love your thoughts...  XOXOXO  Karen



No comments:

Post a Comment